The Water Main Company
0800 0461210

Spotting Water Main Leaks

If you have a water meter and have noticed high spend it may be because you have a main water leak. Use our checklist to determine if this is the case.

If the answer to one or more of these questions is yes then you may have a Mains Water Leak.

Who is responsible?
If the leak is on your side of the external stop valve (usually located just outside your property) then the householder is responsible for repair. In certain cases your Water Supplier may help or you may be able to claim on your buildings insurance. This can be complicated but many Water Main Repair Companies can usually handle your claim and provide the repair ‘free of charge’.

If there is a problem with the external stop valve, or water meter, then the Water Supplier is responsible. It is the householder’s responsibility to maintain the service pipe which runs from the external stop valve into the property.